Bachelor of Science - Master of Science (BS-MS)
The five year BS-MS (Dual Degree) Programme is offered in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. All BS-MS students are eligible for either Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) or Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE) scholarship. Students are admitted to the programme through the following channels:
- Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) Basic Science Stream: Candidates having a valid KVPY fellowship commencing from 2017-18 academic session are eligible to apply for admissions. Additional cut off criteria may be applicable.
- Joint Entrance Exam (Advanced): Candidates in General category securing a rank within 10000 in the Common Rank List (CRL) of JEE Advanced 2017 are eligible to apply. For candidates belonging to reserved category (OBCNC, SC, ST, PD), their category rank would be used. Additional cut off criteria may be applicable.
- State and Central Boards: Students who have passed (10+2) level with science stream in 2016 or 2017 with marks equal or above the cut off percentage in their respective boards are eligible to apply. For the candidates belonging to the Non-Creamy Layer of the Other Backward Classes (OBCNC) and Persons with Disability (PD) categories, there is a 5% relaxation. The cut-off percentage for the Scheduled Castes (SC), the Scheduled Tribes (ST) and Kashmiri Migrants (KM) candidates is 55% in (10+2) level for all boards. Students applying through SCB channel will have to appear in the IISER Aptitude Test which will be conducted at various centres across the country. To calculate your percentage of marks obtained use your board’s method.
Indian nationals, and students belonging to PIO or OCI category are eligible to apply provided they satisfy the eligibility criteria described below.
BS-MS (Dual Degree) programme consists of mandatory, common courses (core courses) for all disciplines during the first two years and discipline dependent professional courses during the remaining three years. Core courses include topics from all the four science disciplines in addition to interdisciplinary courses in earth and environmental sciences, computer science and humanities. During the final year BS-MS students are required to undertake project work with a faculty supervisor, relevant to their major discipline.
In addition to majoring in one of the seven (Biological Sciences, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, Mathematics, and Physics) science disciplines, BS-MS students can also minor in another discipline by obtaining 24 or more credits in professional courses (III year of study onwards) along with other department specific additional requirements, as applicable, other than his/her parent discipline. The curriculum and other criteria for successfully completing the BS-MS programme in various disciplines are documented in the undergraduate (UG) Manual available online via https://www.iiserb.ac.in/PDF/UG%20Manual.pdf
The Institute encourages and rewards academic excellence exhibited by its students. To this end, Professor C.N.R. Rao Education Foundation Prize with a prize amount of Rs. 5000/- per semester is awarded to a student scoring the highest CPI during the first year (in both the first and second semesters) of the BS-MS (Dual Degree) programme.
In addition, the Institute awards the President's Gold Medal for the best academic performance in the graduating class in all disciplines of the BS-MS program. Proficiency Medals are the awarded for the best academic performance in the each discipline of the BS-MS program to the graduating class. A Director's Gold Medal is awarded for outstanding all-round achievement and leadership in the graduating class in all disciplines.
Integrated Doctoral Programme (Integrated Ph. D.)
The Institute offers Integrated Ph.D. programme in Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. A prospective candidate should have completed a graduate programme (B.Sc./B.Tech./B.E.) in a discipline relevant to his/her choice of Integrated Ph.D. programme along with a valid JAM score.
All admitted students will receive a fellowship of Rs. 10,000/- pm till the end of the third year (subject to fulfilling the minimum CPI requirements). Subsequently, a revised fellowship will be provided as per MHRD norms/guidelines.
IISER Bhopal is well equipped with state-of-the-art research facilities matching global standards in all disciplines to facilitate quality research. students must successfully complete course work, qualifying examination, seminars, and a dissertation. Besides the mandatory requirements, students are encourages to participate in several professional activities such as workshops, review meetings and conferences.
Doctoral Programme (Ph. D.)
The Institute offers Ph.D. programmes in five disciplines. A prospective candidate should have completed a postgraduate programme (M.S./M.Sc./M.Tech./MBBS) in a discipline relevant to his/her choice of Ph.D. programme along with qualifying a national entrance exam. Students should have a valid rank in the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) and/or have qualified the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)/University Grants Commission (UGC)/National Eligibility Test – Junior Research Fellowship (NET-JRF), or other equivalent examinations. All selected candidates not receiving external fellowship will be awarded an Institute fellowship. Currently, the Institute offers Ph.D. programmes in the following disciplines:
- Biological Sciences
- Chemical Engineering
- Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Electrical Engieering and Computer Science
IISER Bhopal is well equipped with state-of-the-art research facilities matching global standards in all disciplines to facilitate quality research. Doctoral students must successfully complete course work, qualifying examination, seminars, and a dissertation. Besides the mandatory requirements, students are encourages to participate in several professional activities such as workshops, review meetings and conferences. All doctoral students are also expected to participate in the undergraduate teaching programme of the Institute as a part of their training.
Course curricula and criteria for the Ph.D. programme in various disciplines are documented in the Postgraduate (PG) Manual available on-line via http://www.iiserb.ac.in.