Presently, the Computer Centre of IISER Bhopal provides an institute wide 10 Gbps copper local area network that connects all the academic departments to the Computer Centre. Internet access is provided by 620 Mbps (1:1) dedicated Internet leased circuit through an Internet service provider. The Institute had a newly installed few advance servers of 2 X six core Intel Xeon processor X5670 @ 2.93 GHz with 12 MB L3 Cache, IQI 6.40 GT/s, 32 GB DDR3 1066 MHz RAM, hot plug SAS Hard Disk for running our own internal/external DNS, web based automation, centralized authentication mechanism using LDAP/Radius, storage services for each user of IISER Bhopal and personal homepage hosting services for academic staff. Digital Library services with appropriate networking system is being provided access to online library services to various databases with downloading facilities from institute network. The Institute is in the process to provide VPN facility to all the users of IISER Bhopal to access digital library, as well as institute network from remote location.With the help of Google, the Institute Computer Centre provides email facility with 7.3 GB mail storage space to each user of IISER Bhopal. The Institute is in the process to in house the official website.
There is a separate Computer Lab for UG and PG students based on Linux/Windows platform and with all major public domain application software. The Computer Centre has a Red Hat enterprise Linux cluster of high performance computing system for scientific research. The cluster is composed of 29 nodes where each computing node has dual Intel Xeon X5570 Quad core @ 2.93 GHz processors and the nodes are connected with infiniband interconnect to support more tightly coupled parallel applications.The Computer Centre equipped with to operate 24 hours a day, 365 days an year. It has a power back-up through redundant 40 KVA UPS and a 500 KVA automatic generator set. For the permanent campus at Bhauri, the Computer Centre is in the process of laying the gigabit fibre optic backbone that connects all the Academic Departments, Hostels, Central Library, and Administrative Departments to it with 3 tier Cisco managed architecture. Internet and Email services shall be provided to all the users through dedicated 100/1000 Mbps network links. Most of the buildings of institute will be Wi-Fi enabled.
Along with this, the Computer Centre of IISER Bhopal is going to be a part of National Knowledge Network (NKN), the network under which all the five IISERs (Mohali, Kolkata, Pune, Bhopal, Trivandrum) are going to be network connected. NKN will encourage and enable the use of specialized applications, while allow sharing of high performance computing facilities, e-libraries, virtual class rooms and large databases. So that we can share our education, research, health service and library facilities with all other IISERs and research institutions in the country with an access speed of at least 100 Mbps.
Network & System Management
Telephone & Billing Management
- Internet/Intranet Web Access
- Email Service
- Hosting Home Page
- Internet access can be via Direct Internet Connection/No Proxy Settings or proxy server.
- Configuration and deployment at Client end.
- Backup and Maintenance at Server end.
Unethical use of Computing Facilities
- Breaking security of the systems.
- Trying to capture/steal password of other users.
- Sharing personal account information.
- Storing pornographic material on the disk.
- Viewing pornographic material on terminals.
- Damaging/gaining access to the data of other users.
- Playing games/Video
- Sending bulk or junk mail to users.
- Locking the screen of machines in the computer centre.
- Dislocating the computers and chairs.
- Taking off network/power cables from computer and board.
- Stealing/Mishandling of CC property.
- Laptops/ipads are strictly prohibited in CC Lab.
If found violating these rules, strong disciplinary action against the person will be taken.
Software Purchase Policy
- Software purchase funded by institute will be channelized through CC.
1."General Softwares" required by institute e.g. OS, MS Office, Antivirus, will be purchased by CC (indent approval/procurement/distribution).
2." Indent approval for "Specialized softwares" will be done by the department/faculties. CC will assist in procurement. Distribution will be done by CC with ONE faculty in-charge (indenter) from the user group. ).
- Repository for all the softwares will be maintained by CC and license will be distributed only to the employees for office and students for the lab purpose. Permission of faculty in-charge will be a pre-requisite for users to get specialized software license.
- CC will not be involved in indent approval/procurement/distribution of softwares purchased by individuals through their own project/funding sources.
E-services Deactivation Policy:
|1||Student||The account will be active up to 6 months from the date of "No Dues" or "Convocation".|
|The account will be suspended immediately after "No Dues".|
*Based on the approval from concerned HoD/Dean, email account access can be extended for a period of one month with cancellation of posting permission on group email accounts.
b. Institute Services via Central Authentication:
This will be disabled immediately after "No Dues" for all.
Authorization for change or updates in Institute website and new development:
- The change of content or updates in front page of Institute website can only be suggested by Director/Registrar/HoDs/Deans/Librarian.
- The respective department website should only be update with the proposal of respective HoD.
- C) Any request like “New Application Development”, “Extension of the previously given network points”, “New Website Development” should come from Deans/HoDs/Committee's Chairman of respective department/section.
Charges for use of CC Lab:
- CC Lab Charges are applicable for the use of computers in different administrative examinations conducted by other government agencies.
- The charges are based on rent of area, consumption of AC & electricity, usage charges of computer/machines.
|Slots||Charges as per available facilities|
|Area | Electricity (AC + Computers) | Computer/Machine|
|1 Slot (3 Hours or Half Day)||Charges for facility will be levied as per the norms.|
|2 Slots (Full Day)|
The instructions in this regard will only be taken from the Director.